- Home > About Us > Current Vacancies > Volunteers, Endeavour Centre
Volunteers, Endeavour Centre, London
|Job title||Job reference number|
|Volunteer, Endeavour Centre, London||n/a|
|Salary||Hours per week|
|n/a||From four-six hours a week|
Depaul UK is a charity that works with young people aged between from 16 to 24 years old who are at risk, or affected by, homelessness.
The Coffee Room is an exciting area within Sherborne House, Depaul’s newly refurbished Endeavour Centre in Southwark.
It is the social hub within the building into which staff, visitors and young people will walk when they first enter the Endeavour Centre.
It is a space in which people can sit and order drinks and food, hold informal meetings and wait for appointments. In the near future we will also be looking to utilise this space for additional activities, such as exhibitions and workshops.
We are looking for a volunteer or volunteers to help the Endeavour Host run the coffee room and to take the lead when the Host is unavailable
The Coffee Room volunteers will also be asked to supervise young people living in Depaul supported accommodation projects who will be undertaking volunteer placements in The Coffee Room as baristas.
These internal placements for our young people aim to support them to engage in new opportunities and build their key life skills such as time management and positive participation with others etc. as well as helping to develop their confidence, self-esteem and to learn all the essential barista, customer service and hospitality skills required to help them onto further employment opportunities.
In terms of availability, we require a large degree of flexibility of volunteers in The Coffee Room – during mornings, afternoons and particularly early evening – as Sherborne House has a growing number of large meetings taking place in which The Coffee Room will be helping to cater for food and drink on most occasions.
We also require community volunteers to be able to provide cover during periods when the Endeavour Host is on annual leave or training days.
- To work alongside the Endeavour Host to be part of the "Welcome Host Team" to greet staff, young people and visitors when they enter the building.
- To liaise with staff regarding visitors who are booked for appointments and meetings.
- To be able to work independently when required to ensure The Coffee Room is fully functional – preparing and serving food and drinks.
- To supervise young people within Depaul supported accommodation who are carrying out a volunteer placement within The Coffee Room.
- To ensure room and all equipment is ready for opening time and is cleaned and shut down at the end of shift (subject to hours).
- Using the till and handling cash float.
Minimum commitment of four to six hours (one shift a week) per week over a minimum time frame of six months.
However, we are flexible and appreciate that people’s circumstances change and that it may prove impossible to adhere to this.
An enhanced DBS check to work with children and vulnerable adults will be required for this role for which Depaul will cover the cost.
Benefits to the Volunteer:
- Reasonable travel expenses to and from the Sherborne House, and reimbursement for lunch of up to £5 if four hours are worked in a shift.
- Being trained and gaining experience in barista, food preparation, hospitality and customer service skills.
- Attaining a Level 2 Food Hygiene for Catering.
- While working at the project, voluntary workers have full liability insurance cover.
- Appreciation events during the year will be held to recognise the important contribution that voluntary workers make.
- Personal and professional development through training, support and ongoing evaluation.
- Contribute to an organisation that really does make a difference to the lives of young people.